Subject: Re: Anybody using Mosaic and lesstif12?
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2002 07:21:40
On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 07:40, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if this discussion is really about removing old, unused,
> > unmaintained software. I say if it doesn't hurt (like being hard to keep
> > up-to-date), then keep it in.

  Seconded.

> The interest I have in removing Mosaic and lesstif12 are that removing
> lesstif12 will simply the Motif-handling in pkgsrc.  Specifically, we

  If nobody is using lesstif12 any more and removing it makes things a
lot easier, it would probably be worthwhile to get rid of it.

> I agree that Mosaic has historic
> value, but I don't consider it a goal of pkgsrc.

  Neither do I, but I don't see where it hurts leaving it in.  "If it
ain't broken, don't fix it."  There might be people out there who still
want to have a look at Mosaic from time to time.  An old package like
this doesn't need any active maintenance anyway.  And if, at some point
in the future, the package becomes broken for one reason or another, we
can still consider removing it.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene