Subject: Re: RFC: generating menus from packages
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2002 15:29:51
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> 1) Should all menu entries be placed in single file or per package (that
> supports it)? I think it should be separate files.

Won't the entries be placed in menu files for *wm?

> 5) Also optional: a brief description (because some window managers may show)
> and long title (because some window managers may display).

Could there be some way to have descriptions in different languages?
I guess the *NIX desktops KDE and GNOME support non-English languages,
too (never used them myself).

> entries it would become quite overwhelming. But it could just simply use
> our standard package categories. What do you think?

If the hierarchy of pkgsrc directories is supposed to make sense to the
pkgsrc user I would conclude it should also make sense in a menu
system. Will there be a way to override this default structure?

> 12) I think the menu entries for packages should be saved in only one
> place. But it would be okay if in multiple places too. Where do you think?
> /var/pkg/something? /usr/X11R6/etc/package-menus/?
> /usr/pkg/etc/package-menus?

What are 'menu entries' here? I thought the entries were lines like
'MENU=...' in the package Makefile. Or does this refer to the location
where the menu files for the window managers (containing the
transformed menu entries of all installed packages) should live?