Subject: Re: bug in name matching for package?
To: Klaus Heinz <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/27/2002 15:10:59
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> The package depends on procmail like this
>    DEPENDS+=               procmail:../../mail/procmail
>   Registering depends: ...  perl>=5.6.0 procmail.
>                                                ^^^^^ something's missing

Of course something's missing!

> I can get around this by using procmail-[0-9]* in the DEPENDS line but
> to me this was not obvious enough and it _seemed_ to work without.

No. DEPENDS etc. shall ALWAYS use pkg PLUS version. Just because pkg_info
allows not specifying a version (and pkg_info is used in does
_not_ mean this is TRT, even if it seems to work in parts of the pkg

Use Versions!

> What is the canonical way to depend on a package regardless of the
> version number?
> If '-[0-9]*' is _required_, the omission of the wildcard (or concrete
> version number) should trigger an error or at least 'pkglint' should
> complain, IMHO. Otherwise, there is some bug lurking in the package
> tools.

Yes, -[0-9]* should be used.
Yes, pkg_lint should be fixed to scream blood murder on that
No, this is not a bug in the pkg tools (at least not in pkg_* :-)
(And no, I won't fix pkglint :)

 - Hubert

* Basics ->
* Setup  ->