Subject: Re: Program prefixes in pkgsrc
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Julien Letessier <julien.letessier@sun.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/27/2002 14:56:02
Julio Merino wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:05:16 +0200
> Julien Letessier <julien.letessier@sun.com> wrote:
>

>>Users of pkgsrc on Solaris would prefer to have the choice of getting
>>rid of the 'g' program prefix, though it doesn't have to be a default.
>>
>>Note that there's no risk to break builds by doing this, since the
>>OS-specific makefile stubs (e.g. defs.SunOS.mk) use absolute paths for
>>the basic tools (mkdir, cd, grep, etc.)
>
> [...]
>
> This carries a problem: there will be two different packages (with the same name)
> generated from the same pkgsrc.

why? IMO the GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX could be set on a site-wide basis; then
the packages compiled on that particular machine would all share a
common prefix.

> My solution would be to create a new package which provides symlinks (or wrappers)
> to the g* tools, leaving all other packages intact.

That's an idea we thought about, but it would make this 'wrapper'
package depend on quite a huge load of GNU packages... or perhaps you
had a different idea?

Cheers,
--
Julien T. Letessier