Subject: Re: Program prefixes in pkgsrc
To: Julien Letessier <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/27/2002 14:19:41
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:05:16 +0200
Julien Letessier <> wrote:

> Users of pkgsrc on Solaris would prefer to have the choice of getting
> rid of the 'g' program prefix, though it doesn't have to be a default.
> Note that there's no risk to break builds by doing this, since the
> OS-specific makefile stubs (e.g. use absolute paths for
> the basic tools (mkdir, cd, grep, etc.)

This carries a problem: there will be two different packages (with the same name)
generated from the same pkgsrc.

My solution would be to create a new package which provides symlinks (or wrappers)
to the g* tools, leaving all other packages intact.

HispaBSD admin -
For the developer -
Julio Merino <>