Subject: Re: Broken PKG_PATH semantics on pkg_add
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/2002 20:53:27
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	eg: 'pkg_add /.../packages/All/fu.tgz' will fail if fu.tgz
> 	depends on All/bar.tgz, unless you are in that directory.

This example is wrong: Pkgs don't depend on something like "All/bar.tgz".
They depend on "bar-*" or "bar-version", and it's the pkg_* tools' job to
find a binary pkg that batches that pkg.

Please let's not rule lazyness over clearness when explaining things. :)

That said, your hack to add the directory to PKG_PATH for depends looks
sane to me. If noone objects I'd say commit it. (Assuming this was tested
:)

> 	Question: For pkg_add and pkg_info should the 'paths' of
> 	packages given be added to the PKG_PATH? If so, should
> 	they be added after anything explicitly given in $PKG_PATH,
> 	and instead of the implicit '.'?

I think the path should be added, and I'd say it should be prepended:
if I specify a special dir for pkgs, I want pkgs from there to be used,
not in other, random locations.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html