Subject: gcc update?
To: tech-pkg <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Hoopman <rob@tuna.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/23/2002 19:55:38
I've been tinkering with povray lately and have compiled povray 3.5
recently from source assuming it would give me a marginal speed increase
over the linux binary under emulation.
The native compiled version turned out to be significantly ( somtimes a
couple hundred percent ) slower than the linux binary. As there is unly
so much optimisation you can do besides -O3 to gcc I compiled gcc 3.2
and used that to recompile povray, this results in a binary that is a
couple percent fatser than the official pov linux binary under emulation.
I can send some benchmark data if anyone is interested, the gist of it
is that the gcc3 binary is 25-75% faster on some standard pov renders  I
timed (Usual disclaimers ofcourse apply ).

So the questions:
Is anyone working on an updated gcc ( or gcc-devel ) package?
Is anyone interested in what I have on my machine to finish a package as
I don't consider myself capable of delivering a decent package for a
major package like gcc. ( Especially since it does not install cleanly
yet on my machine and I don't understand any of  the SunOS voodoo that
is currently in lang\gcc )

Rob