Subject: Re: pkgsrc sickness
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/23/2002 09:30:42
On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:27:29PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, August 22, 2002 at 00:26:53 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: pkgsrc sickness
> >
> > A bug in a library routine is MUCH easier to fix if the library
> > is shared.
>
> Only if you're trying to spend more effort figuring out what you don't
> need to re-compile and re-link than it would take to just rebuild
> everything.  Even on a slow machine such an effort is a total waste of
> time if it's done by a human.

Put yourself in the seat of the support engineer of a commercial
software company.  Remember you are shipping binaries.....
When you find a bug in a library routine, you don't know
what to issue in the 'fix' unless the code is shared.

We had trouble with the 'utmp' file locking, sorting out the
last program was hard - remember there could easily be binary
products from 3rd party software houses installed.

The way netbsd treats shared libraries in pkgsrc is IMHO broken.
Having implemented library versions there shouldn't be a need
to rebuild everything because of a dependency update.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk