Subject: Re: pkgsrc sickness
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2002 18:00:41
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2002, Rene Hexel wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 02:30, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >   Does 'make replace'/'pkg_add -u' preserve an old version of a shared
> > library at the moment?  If it doesn't, old packages will still fail if
> > they are linked against an older (major) version of a shared lib.
>
> pkg_add -u does nothing special WRT shared libs (yet).

I see. What I've started doing, with the pkg_hack, is synthesizing a
package containing the old shared libraries, and fixing up the
dependencies and the by-file database. Thus, all the old stuff can be
easily managed until all the dependents are rebuilt.

Currently, I believe all the binaries to be identical to those that
can be made without the hack by re-installing binary packages, but
some of the wildcards in the newly made binary packages can be lost.
(But I have an idea for a solution to that.)

The biggest hurdle now, as I see it, is that directories "owned" by
more than one package aren't currently managed well. Same for
font-indexes and other such files that can be shared by more than one
package.

Frederick