Subject: Re: mozilla - "make" stops.
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Shigeki UNO <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/16/2002 16:55:55
Oops, I should have given details more. ;)

Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Shigeki UNO wrote:
[...]
>> ==> Installing for mozilla-1.0nb2
>
> How did you even get that far?

Well, I have installed mozilla-0.6 and -0.8.1 successfully without
xpkgwedge when I was running a.out NetBSD/mac68k box. No modification
was needed at that time. And I didn't try any other versions.

The machine was LC520 with FPU, 36MB memory+78MB swap,
160MB(internal/MacOS)+1GB(external/NetBSD Root) _at that time_.
(It's running as a NAT box with 20MB memory and 540MB internal Hard Disk
Drive now, though.)

You said
> I've had to add
> '-Wa,--register-prefix-optional' to --optimize-cflags to get through
> ".../xpcom".

To where? :p  Sorry for just asking.

You mean you added the above line and that modification leaded you to
success?

[...]
>> ../../graphics/freetype2 perl>=5.0:../../lang/perl5"
>> PREFIX=/usr/pkg LOCALBASE= /usr/pkg X11BASE=/usr/X11R6 /bin/sh
>> /usr/pkgsrc/www/mozilla/files/moz-install Segmentation fault - core
>> dumped

> What's dumping core? "/bin/sh"? "make"? Do you have a core file?

/bin/sh. Not "make".

And the core file is:
% ls /usr/pkg/lib/mozilla

TestGtkEmbed              libmoz_art_lgpl.so        mozilla-bin
TestGtkEmbedChild         libmozjs.so               mozilla-config
TestGtkEmbedNotebook      libmozz.so                mozilla-xremote-client
TestGtkEmbedSocket        libmsgbaseutil.so         nsinstall
bloaturls.txt             libnspr4.so               plugins
chrome                    libnss3.so                regExport
component.reg             libnssckbi.so             regchrome
components                libnullplugin.so     ---> regchrome.core
defaults                  libplc4.so                regxpcom
dirver                    libplds4.so               res
icons                     libprldap50.so            searchplugins
libgkgfx.so               libsmime3.so              timebombgen
libgtkembedmoz.so         libsoftokn3.so            xpcshell
libgtksuperwin.so         libssl3.so                xpicleanup
libgtkxtbin.so            libxlibrgb.so             xpidl
libjsj.so                 libxpcom.so               xpt_dump
libldap50.so              libxpistub.so             xpt_link

Unfortunately /usr/bin/gdb on 1.6E doesn't work, that is, it produces core
and fails. I've got to build gdb.

nana # /usr/pkg/lib/mozilla
nana # gdb regchrome -core regchrome.core
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
This GDB was configured as "m68k--netbsdelf"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `regchrome'.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

nana # gdb gdb gdb.core
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
This GDB was configured as "m68k--netbsdelf"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `gdb'.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

nana # gdb -v
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
This GDB was configured as "m68k--netbsdelf".

Oh, my god!

[...]
> I'm trying a build with '-O2 -Wa,--register-prefix-optional" on my
> Quadra/128mb, but I think it's not even half-way through.

It's a heavy work for mac68k box...

>> My NetBSD version is 1.6E (both kernel and userland) on mac68k.
>
> What sort of mac is this? How much memory?

My mac that is running NetBSD is Centris650 with 68040/25MHz,104MB
memory(on-board 8+16+16+32+32), 160MB(internal)+1GB(Root, external)+
2GB(/usr, external) Hard Disk Drive.

But as I said the above, swap memory size is still being kept
 _just 78MB_. When I switched from LC520 to Centris650 I didn't increase
swap size. Does this cause unhappy results?

> Frederick
I'm sure you'll whip me up something really good. Thanks in advance.

---
Shigeki UNO (I'm dying becouse it's very hot in and out.)