Subject: Python & pthreads
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2002 18:43:22
I am trying to build pthread support into Python using the pkg
system.  I tried the various methods explained in mk/
to build against pth and unproven-pthreads but am having trouble.

1) .include "../../mk/"

Just using the default pth - doesn't build as it can't find the
pthread libraries even though the .buildlink/lib directory is
pointing in what appears to be the correct location:

libpth.a -> /usr/pkg/lib/libpth.a -> /usr/pkg/lib/ -> /usr/pkg/lib/ -> /usr/pkg/lib/
libpthread.a -> /usr/pkg/lib/libpthread.a -> /usr/pkg/lib/ -> /usr/pkg/lib/ -> /usr/pkg/lib/
libz.a -> /usr/lib/libz.a -> /usr/lib/ -> /usr/lib/ -> /usr/lib/
2) attempt to specify unproven-pthreads

I don't see a way, using any of _PKG_PTHREAD, PTHREAD_TYPE,
PTHREAD_OPTS (or .include "../../devel/unproven-pthreads/")
to have .buildlink point at the correct libraries.  They always
point at the pth stuff.

Incidentally, this method builds using the uproven-pthreads compiler
- but against the pth libraries which core-dump when I try to use

What is the correct way to build this?