Subject: Re: imap-uw package and SSL
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/14/2002 05:51:57
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> + IMAP_UW_USE_SSL?=     YES
> +

The policy is to set defaults in bsd.pkg.defaults.mk, or not at all,
which is why I took the contrapositive of the natural logic.

> + IMAP_UW_USE_SSL?= ${DEFAULT_USE_SSL}
> + # Enable SSL in mail/imap_uw (and mail/pine) (for pop and imap connections)
> + #
> + # Possible: YES, NO
> + # Default: see DEFAULT_USE_SSL
> +

I was just going to warn in bsd.pkg.defaults.mk that this could affect
clients (pine), too.

I'm not ready to tackle disabling it in the clients and testing all
possible variations, though in light of recent events, perhaps that's
not unreasonable. My thoughts when enabling SSL in lynx, libwww,
imap-uw, et. al. in the first place, were, that since it's part of the
base system anyway, it shouldn't be any trouble. Maybe some committer
who's running a platform that doesn't include openssl would like to
take that up with you.

Frederick