Subject: imap-uw package and SSL
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2002 15:34:24
Hi,

The imap-uw package is setup to use openssl by default.  However, the
imap-uw SSLBUILD file says that you shouldn't enable SSL support unless
you plan on installing valid certificates.  Since not everyone will want
to setup certificates (since a valid one will usually cost money), it
seems like a bad idea to have SSL support enabled by default.  Unless I'm
missing something, the only way I can use imap-uw with SSL enabled clients
without buying a certificate is to create a self-signed certificate and
then have clients specify "/noverify" (or whatever the flag is to prevent
certificate verification).  At the very least, there should be a simple
make flag "IMAP_UW_SSL" which can be set to NO to disable SSL support
entirely.

Am I missing something here?  Shall I send-pr a change for this?

Thanks,
	Rick