Subject: NetBSD provide config.guess and gnu configure --host= setting
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2002 12:57:46
I was trying to build unproven-pthreads on my NetBSD 1.5.3/alpha
system last night (from pkgsrc), and it kept dying during the
configure process, saying that `alpha--netbsd'' is unsupported
(or similar text.)

Basically, unproven-pthreads' configure knows about
``alpha-unknown-netbsd1.5.*'', but pkgsrc calls it (explicitly)
with ``--host=alpha--netbsd'', _after_ having replaced the
unproven-pthreads' config.guess with NetBSD's.

Why is pkgsrc doing this?  I would think that since pkgsrc has
replaced config.guess, bsd.pkg.mk would no longer need to pass
``--host=${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}'' explicitly.

Otherwise, I believe that MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM should be changed
to the following:
${LOWER_ARCH}-${LOWER_VENDOR}-${LOWER_OPSYS}${APPEND_ELF }${LOWER_OS_VERSION}

to match the expected GNU style architecture specification.

Thoughts?  Am I full of it?

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
      If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly