Subject: GNU program prefixes
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julien Letessier <julien.letessier@sun.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2002 09:29:21
Hi list,

In pkgsrc, quite a few GNU programs have something similar in their
Makefiles:

PROGRAM_PREFIX=g
PLIST_SUBST+=     PROGRAM_PREFIX=${PROGRAM_PREFIX}

On Solaris, we'd prefer to have to use, for instance, 'locate' instead
of 'glocate', because we don't have a 'locate' utility on vanilla
Solaris... the same goes for many other base tools.

So here's a suggestion:

   * add a variable IS_GNU_PACKAGE= # defined
     in the concerned packages' Makefiles
   * use a site-wide
         GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX?=g
     (in bsd.prefs.mk ?), along with something like
         .if defined(IS_GNU_PACKAGE)
         PROGRAM_PREFIX?=  ${GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX}
         PLIST_SUBST+=     PROGRAM_PREFIX=${PROGRAM_PREFIX}
         .endif
     (I don't exactly know where, probably in bsd.prefs.mk as well)

This change should be transparent for users, and the additional feature
would be to be able to say
     GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX=    # nothing
in /etc/mk.conf (or even in defs.SunOS.mk), and then type 'ls' instead
of 'gls' to have a *real* 'ls'...

I'll PR this if it meets any success.

Cheers,
--