Subject: Re: bulk builds
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/12/2002 17:27:42
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:38:52AM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding bulk-builds:
>
> I had started a bulk-build on Friday afternoon, and over the weekend I
> noticed at least three or four times that the build appeared to be hung.
> When checking the processes, it turned out that it was hung trying to
> download a distfile.  Removing the file and killing the ftp-process
> allowed the bulk-build to continue.
>
> Any idea why the connection didn't time out, allowing the bulk-build to
> continue?

Was there any pattern in the sites involved?

What platform were you trying this on?

What version of lukemftp is involved?

In passing, I have occasionally seen ICMP packets hitting my ipfilter
from sites to which I've connected using ftp.

> Also, after it finally finished, I get a mail saying that no problems
> were encountered, no packages are broken and all packages are built and
> packaged.  While I would like to believe that, I don't think that's the
> case.  Or is pkgsrc on i386 actually _that_ good? ;-)

Yes, pkgsrc on i386 is really that good. However, you could also
be running into a bug I introduced when trying to make the bulk
builds functional on platforms other than NetBSD (discussed elsewhere,
and my fault for not realising that a Perl script was involved).

Sorry about that one,
Alistair