Subject: Re: Zoularis/MacOSX/pkg_add problem
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2002 22:11:13
"Masahiro =Rhythm Drive= Ishiyama" <masahiro@wide.ad.jp> wrote:

> On MacOSX, pkg_add does not work:
>
> masahiro@lucernhammer[All] pkg_add openssl-0.9.6e.tgz
> /usr/bin/gnutar: unrecognized option `--fast-read'
> Try `/usr/bin/gnutar --help' for more information.
> pkg_add: gnutar extract of /Volumes/UFS/pkgsrc/packages/All/openssl-0.9.6e.tgz
> failed!
> pkg_add: unable to extract table of contents file from
> `/Volumes/UFS/pkgsrc/packages/All/openssl-0.9.6e.tgz' - not a package?
>
> Adding "-DTAR_MISSING_FAST_READ" to pkg_install/Makefile.inc
> works as a workaround for this, but I met yet another error as
> follows:
>
> masahiro@lucernhammer[ALL] sudo pkg_add  openssl-0.9.6e.tgz
> zsh: no such file or directory: /usr/pkg/sbin/mtree
> pkg_add: mtree returned a non-zero status - continuing
>
> I can't find mtree command in pkgsrc tree (pkglocate did not
> find it).  However, it seems that pkg_install/add/perform.c
> assumes that mtree should be located on the same path of pkg_add
> (i.e. BINDIR).  Did I miss out something?

Thanks for the report! I've added -DTAR_MISSING_FAST_READ as you suggested.

Unfortunately, the mtree problem is not as simple to fix. I think the best
solution is for a future bootstrap kit to provide mtree(8) in the form and
location we need. Work is being done on this, but for the moment, pkg_add(1)
won't work entirely as advertised on Darwin.

- Amitai