Subject: Re: A policy for /var
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/28/2002 10:24:04
On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 23:13, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> I don't think ${PREFIX}/var does anybody any good.

  Agreed.

> more do-able, would be to move the creation from the install target
> into the INSTALL script, so that at least a package build machine
> wouldn't suffer from /var-pollution.

  That sounds reasonable to me.  BTW, that's what the rpm package
(targeted by pkg/13058) already does.

> That drawback is, folks who build
> from source to run on the same machine would have to remember to run
> the INSTALL script (but see the "finish" target in www/wwwoffle).

  What's wrong with a post-install target that runs INSTALL?  I don't
think packages installed with 'make install' should behave any
differently than binary packages added with 'pkg_add' (which
automatically runs the INSTALL script).

  If we want to make an exception for (bulk) package building machines,
the way to go IMHO is to put the '${SH} INSTALL' install part between
'.ifndef(BATCH)' statements (or maybe add some DONT_CLOBBER_MY_MACHINE
switch if that's what people want).

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene