Subject: Re: make update breaks everything
To: Xavier HUMBERT <>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/27/2002 13:14:06

Xavier HUMBERT <> wrote:
}Well, I've been warned that make update should have potential side
}effects. But this is not a side effect, this is a bloody collateral
}dommage !
}An obscure security problem in graphics/png lead me to update it, at
}least to get rid of the message from auditpackages ...
}Unfortunately, when I did "make update", it deleted **without asking,
}neither warning me** mrtg and gd, which depends on it.

make update will delete all dependencies on the package you are updating.
It should then rebuild the dependencies (against the newly compiled package)
and reinstall them.  I expect this behavior, and don't do 'make update'
where the dependencies are production services that can't be down.  In
that case, I build binary packages on another machine, and install them.
I don't consider this broken, because that is what make update is supposed
to do.

Packages.txt is explicit about this:
 * update:
   This target causes the current package to be updated to the latest
   version.  The package and all depending packages first get de-installed,
   then current versions of the corresponding packages get compiled and
   installed.  This is similar to manually noting which packages are
   currently installed, then performing a series of "make deinstall" and
   "make install" (or whatever UPDATE_TARGET is set to) for these packages.

- -Tracy

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: noconv