Subject: Re: make update doesnt work as should ?
To: Dawid SzymaXski <dawszy@polnet.wroc.pl>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2002 17:27:38
On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 16:14, Dawid SzymaXski wrote:

> make build && make deinstall && make install, am I right? Hope so, here you have my patches on mk/bsd.pkg.mk please feedback.

  There are a number of problems with the patch you sent:

  - The biggest problem is that your patch only works correctly for
    the initial package.  All dependent packages will still get
    deinstalled very early (before installing the initial package) once
    ${MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} deinstall DEINSTALLDEPENDS=ALL is reached.
    This means that unless your package is a leaf package (which is the
    least critical case here) compilation problems still can lead to a
    system where all of the originally installed packages are lost.

  - it requires that UPDATE_TARGET is set to "update" (its default).
    People who set it to, for example, "bin-install" or "package"
    (which is why UPDATE_TARGET was introduced) will lose.

  - There are (or at least used to be, don't know how buildlink changed
    the picture) that do not build correctly if an older version is
    already installed.

  - I am not sure about the impact your patches have on RESUMEUPDATE,
    NO_CLEAN, and the clean-update target.  There might be a couple of
    nasty side-effects here as well.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene