Subject: Re: RFC: new variable SUGGESTS
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2002 22:21:44
Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:41:33 -0400
> "Jan Schaumann" <jschauma@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Below please find a proposal for the implementation of a new pkgsrc
> > variable 'SUGGESTS'.  Please comment on the usefulness, the
> > implementation, the flaws etc.
>
> Nice idea :) But take Grip as an example. Grip can be compiled against
> cdparanoia's library or not. This decision is optional, but should be
> taken before the package is compiled. How do you manage this?
> Or this case is "out of the idea" of SUGGESTS?

I believe this to be out of the scope or beyond the idea of SUGGESTS:
In this case, we have a choice of dependencies; either one or the
other _must_ be installed in order for the package to work.

After the choice is made, it can not be changed without breaking (or
deinstalling) the package.

Suggestions, the way I thought about them, should be independent of the
suggesting packages, allowing the user to remove them at will.

What you describe here would require a CHOICE_OF_DEPENDS of sorts that
would then turn the chosen package into a real dependency.

I think.

-Jan

--
chown -R us.enemy your_base