Subject: Re: pkg/17427
To: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/19/2002 18:36:24
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, David Burgess wrote:

> If you can come up with a reason that required some thought on why being
> able to update and upgrade system components based on the systems in
> pkgsrc, I'd love to hear it.  Blowing me off is not going to make this
> issue go away.

Issues that are at all controversial don't belong in a PR -- they need
to be discussed in tech-pkg first.

The problem is this: there's no consensus to do whatever it is you're
asking for, therefore, the choices are 1) take no action, leaving the
PR open forever, 2) deny it. We have way too many PR's already, that
no one has the heart to outright deny, cluttering up the database and
making it hard to pick useful tasks out of it.

What I suggest you do, is make a clear appeal in this forum (tech-pkg)
for exactly what it is you want pkgsrc to do. Listen to the pro's and
con's, extend and revise your position, and *then* file another PR,
summarizing the major points and referring to said discussion in the
PR. This is way more likely to lead to some satisfactory conclusion
than simply filing your position and hoping for the best.

Frederick