Subject: Re: Trouble configuring openssh 3.4p1
To: Carrie Jones <carrie@cjones.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/2002 23:43:06
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:05:13PM -0600, Carrie Jones wrote:

> >     (2)	What are the contents of /etc/mk.conf, if any?
>
> LOCALBASE=/usr/local
> USE_RSAREF2=YES

[snip]

> >     (4)	What is the result of "pkg_info openssl"?
>
> # pkg_info openssl
> Information for openssl-0.9.6nb2:
>
> Comment:
> Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
>
> Requires:
> rsaref-2.0p3

Judging from the above and from the contents of the config.log file that
you'd sent, it looks like that the OpenSSL libraries aren't linked with
librsaref.so.  This is a pkgsrc bug that affects all platforms on which
the OpenSSL package was built with USE_RSAREF=YES.

The best fix for you is to just remove the setting for USE_RSAREF2 from
your /etc/mk.conf and rebuild and reinstall OpenSSL.  The RSAREF library
isn't needed anymore now that the RSA algorithm is legally unencumbered,
and OpenSSL has it's own RSA routines.  I'll look into fixing the OpenSSL
package so that it's possible to seamlessly use the RSAREF RSA routines
instead of its own RSA routines, but that will take a little time, and
unless you have some special reason for using the RSAREF library, it's
better to just remove the dependency altogether.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>