Subject: RFC: making IGNORE_FAIL the default
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/09/2002 16:35:40
There's a strange little undocumented variable in bsd.pkg.mk called
IGNORE_FAIL. Its purpose appears to be to determine whether setting
IGNORE in a depended-upon package should cause the rest of the build to
fail. By default, IGNORE_FAIL is unset, meaning that the build continues
without the depended-upon package.

I don't think the current behavior makes sense. My KDE3 build failed
poorly when OpenSSL needed to be built but I hadn't accepted its license
beforehand: the OpenSSL package was skipped, but the KDE3 build
continued until the compile failed for lack of OpenSSL.

Is this ever a useful behavior to anyone? If not, I'd like to remove
IGNORE_FAIL and make IGNOREd packages always stop builds.

- Amitai