Subject: KDE3: extremely slow on sparc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf-200207@steinba.ch>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2002 23:34:34
Hi,

after several days of compilation, I finally have kdebase3
running on my SPARCbook. Well, I'd better say "creeping"
instead of "running".

Don't laugh at me. I know 32MB RAM is not plenty, and KDE is
large, but does it really have to be this slow? On a quiet
system, it takes more than six minutes from the click on the
Konsole icon to the shell prompt in Konsole.

During this time, there is heavy disk activity, but according
to xosview, hardly any paging, so the amount of RAM seems
not to be the cause (xosview reports between 20 and 21MB of
RAM in the numerical column (that is probably ACT+WIRE) and
about 16 MB of swap space before Konsole startup and 19 MB
after that).

Do other ports experience similar results? Are there any knobs
for tuning this?

Kind regards

    Ingolf