Subject: Re: keeping pkgsrc up-to-date
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2002 21:26:18
On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 03:19:38PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Try it. No comparison.
>
> It may all depend on the speed of the CVS server!  ;-)
>
> FYI I'm doing "cvs update" of pkgsrc in about 25 minutes on my server
> when there's no other major I/O subsystem load on it, and no files to
> update.  That's with the rsync'ed repo on one external RAID system
> acting as a single logical disk and the working driectory on another,
> both on the main SCSI bus.  In comparison /usr/src, again with no files
> to update, takes just under 20 minutes, and the 1.6 release branch takes
> almost 25 min.  (branches are slower of course because of the need to
> look at all the files in the "Attic").

Try it, I insist.

Actually, I don't, but your argument is pointless.
First: If there's no changes, my script takes 0 minutes. :)
Second: Independent of how fast/slow your cvs server/client is, if not
all dirs were changed, it will be faster.

Since this is a rather pointless discussion, I'll try to let this be
my last mail in this thread.
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure.