Subject: Re: automatic make package ?
To: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@cit.gu.edu.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/30/2002 13:25:24
On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 10:17, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:

> This makes it look like the default when doing make update is update,
> not install, while the default target for UPDATE_TARGET looks like it
> is install.

  You can set either UPDATE_TARGET or DEPENDS_TARGET.  If you set
DEPENDS_TARGET to something other than "update" (the default for 'make
update'), this will apply to all packages the current one depends upon
and you lose the advantage of of a recursive 'make update'.  Therefore,
it is usually better to set

  UPDATE_TARGET=package

  (or "bin-install" if you trust your existing binary packages) to
create packages when needed, not DEPENDS_TARGET.  It seems like
Packages.txt would need some clarification here (I will look into this
right away).

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene