Subject: Re: make package
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 20:02:23
--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 05:52:18PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Marton Fabo wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, hmmm. Well, that's what I meant, now I understand. Actually,
> > don't you guys see this as a place for enhancement in the package
> > system? It's quite shame that I can compile a new version, so I have
> > the binaries, but I cannot tar them up without having to install
> > them on the system... And
>=20
> Well, that's a known problem, and I *think* someone's working on that.
> The problem is at least known, and there was some idea-tossing about
> solving it.

something like OpenBSD ports fake-root feature would be very nice to
have.  i think it's more sane way of building packages because your
system is keeping intact to the point when you have binary package ready
and it's installed the only way--using pkg_add--regardless on the fact
whether you compile it yourself or use binary packages, and don't place
files to your system in 'make install' stage, which means that you need
to remove your old package before 'make install' is executed..

just my $.02

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=