Subject: Re: make package
To: Marton Fabo <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 17:52:18
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Marton Fabo wrote:
> Hmmm, hmmm. Well, that's what I meant, now I understand. Actually, don't
> you guys see this as a place for enhancement in the package system? It's
> quite shame that I can compile a new version, so I have the binaries, but I
> cannot tar them up without having to install them on the system... And

Well, that's a known problem, and I *think* someone's working on that.
The problem is at least known, and there was some idea-tossing about
solving it.

> again, this thing of needing the older version to be manually removed
> before a version upgrade isn't that intuitive either... It really should be
> automatic.

No, we do definitely NOT want to shoot you in the foot automatically.

> Last time I turned out that computer its last task was to install openssh
> 3.3.x. Now when it was turned back on, the only thing was to update pkgsrc,
> and try to make package openssh. I don't really see how it could surprise
> me, but anyway...

You probably forgot the "make clean" in between. :)

 - Hubert

* Basics ->
* Setup  ->