Subject: Re: make package
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 17:43:11
> > being ignorant. Anyway... Is it really the matter that if I want to
> create a
> > binary package out of a pkg I have an older version of which installed,
> then
> > I first need to delete it, and only then I can install/enpackage?
>
>s/delete/pkg_delete the installed package/
>correct.

Hmmm, hmmm. Well, that's what I meant, now I understand. Actually, don't
you guys see this as a place for enhancement in the package system? It's
quite shame that I can compile a new version, so I have the binaries, but I
cannot tar them up without having to install them on the system... And
again, this thing of needing the older version to be manually removed
before a version upgrade isn't that intuitive either... It really should be
automatic.

>The scenario you describe sounds strange in any concern, and shouldn't
>arise. I can only guess you were surprised by an already-compiled pkg or
>something. Maybe play a bit with a non-critical pkg to understand things.
>:)

Last time I turned out that computer its last task was to install openssh
3.3.x. Now when it was turned back on, the only thing was to update pkgsrc,
and try to make package openssh. I don't really see how it could surprise
me, but anyway...

mortee