Subject: Re: make package
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 15:24:16
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Marton Fabo wrote:
> being ignorant. Anyway... Is it really the matter that if I want to create a
> binary package out of a pkg I have an older version of which installed, then
> I first need to delete it, and only then I can install/enpackage?

s/delete/pkg_delete the installed package/
correct.

> I had OpenSSH 3.3.x whatever version was in pkgsrc when the vulnerability
> announcement came out. Now I saw that the current version was 3.4.0.1, so I
> thought to install it, and make a binary pkg out of it so that installing on
> other old machines would be easier.
>
> Well, make package just downloaded the source tarball, and did nothing else. I
> then issued a make update, which compiled and installed the newer version.
> make package started compiling it again (???) and then complained about it
> already being installed on the system, and bailed out.
>
> After this, I pkg_deleted openssh, and done a make package, which finally did
> the trick.
>
> Is this really the only way of upgrading and binary-archiving also?

Um, what I usually do is:

1. make
2. pkg_delete (or "make deinstall")
3. make install

This allows having the "old" pkg installed as long as possible, ideally
until the new one is compile. If there are problems compiling, the old one
is still there.

The scenario you describe sounds strange in any concern, and shouldn't
arise. I can only guess you were surprised by an already-compiled pkg or
something. Maybe play a bit with a non-critical pkg to understand things.
:)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html