Subject: make package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 15:47:07
Hi!

Well, I feel more and more dumb asking so many questions here, it has to =
be my=20
being ignorant. Anyway... Is it really the matter that if I want to creat=
e a=20
binary package out of a pkg I have an older version of which installed, t=
hen=20
I first need to delete it, and only then I can install/enpackage?

I had OpenSSH 3.3.x whatever version was in pkgsrc when the vulnerability=
=20
announcement came out. Now I saw that the current version was 3.4.0.1, so=
 I=20
thought to install it, and make a binary pkg out of it so that installing=
 on=20
other old machines would be easier.

Well, make package just downloaded the source tarball, and did nothing el=
se. I=20
then issued a make update, which compiled and installed the newer version=
=2E=20
make package started compiling it again (???) and then complained about i=
t=20
already being installed on the system, and bailed out.

After this, I pkg_deleted openssh, and done a make package, which finally=
 did=20
the trick.

Is this really the only way of upgrading and binary-archiving also?

thx
mortee