Subject: Re: pkgsrc cvs
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2002 03:22:58
> > cvs server: Updating emulators/arcem/patches
> > cvs server: Updating emulators/atari800
> > cvs server: Updating emulators/atari800/files
> > etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > seemingly for every single directory under pkgsrc,
>
> That's directories above, not files. Use ls(1) to verify.

That's OK, no problem here.

> > and shows a P line for some
> > files?
>
> Yes, the "P" is for "patched", i.e. a change was merged in.
>
> > May this be related to the fact that my computer's clock is 2 hours i=
> > the future (dual boots with windows, which sets the clock to local ti=
me,
> > and I haven't messed with compiling a new kernel just to solve this y=
et)?

> "no".
>
> If you just want to supress the above output, either run "cvs -q update=
",
> or put "cvs -q" into your ~/.cvsrc. Also recommended reading: "info cvs=
".

I don't care the output. I wrote that to give you some idea what it is do=
ing.=20
What I care is that it works for hours, despite that the tree was last=20
updated quite recently.

So, actually, isn't there a relatively fast method of keeping the pkgsrc=20
up-to-date? As I saw (and others pointed out too) sup isn't quite reliabl=
e,=20
it fails easily, pain in the ass. Downloading the tarball gives only week=
ly=20
updates, and is a brute-force solution anyway. CVS messes for hours just =
to=20
fetch those 2-3 changes since the last update. Any recommendations?

thx anyway
mortee