Subject: Re: pkgsrc cvs
To: Marton Fabo <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/26/2002 19:43:53
[ On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 03:22:58 (+0200), Marton Fabo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkgsrc cvs
> So, actually, isn't there a relatively fast method of keeping the pkgsrc
> up-to-date? As I saw (and others pointed out too) sup isn't quite reliable,
> it fails easily, pain in the ass. Downloading the tarball gives only weekly
> updates, and is a brute-force solution anyway. CVS messes for hours just to
> fetch those 2-3 changes since the last update. Any recommendations?

Use a faster mirror and/or update less often!  :-)

(seriously.  when you work with pkgsrc using CVS you're working with a
rather massive number of directories and files.  even 'cvs update' from
a locally mounted copy of the repository takes a relatively long time,
even with a very fast I/O subsystem.  be thankful NetBSD's pkgsrc
doesn't contain as many files and directories as FreeBSD's ports system! :-)

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>