Subject: Re: documentation
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/21/2002 16:00:45
[ On Friday, June 21, 2002 at 14:27:20 (+0200), Marton Fabo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: documentation
>

> Do you really expect a (sort of) newbie to thoughly look at the package
> creator's part for reference?

No, I sure don't!  (Which is why I said it was unfortunate that the
reference wasn't also given in Packages.txt Part-I as well)

> To be honest, I wasn't interested in creating
> new packages so far, and that part seemed to be the longer one, so I
> skipped it.

Personally I think the whole file is getting to be large enough that it
should be split, and the second part for developers should probably be
put in some other sub-directory too....  (Some of the more recent re-org
in the original FreeBSD ports tree has lots of merit.)

The file containing the first part could probably better be named
Pkg-How-To.txt, or even just README-1st.txt, as well....

> Anyway, I admit that I still have ways to refine my routines to lookup UNIX
> docs... (:

Always remember to try "apropos" with a few different keywords that you
think might be used in the short description line of a manual page....

--
								Greg A. Woods