Subject: Re: BUILD_DEPENDS on autoconf
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/18/2002 21:27:25
On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 01:04:31PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Friday, May 31, 2002 at 13:37:06 (+0200), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: BUILD_DEPENDS on autoconf
> >

> Interesting numbers, but rather pointless and extremely misleading out
> of context.

The point of those numbers, dude, was that they *WERE* the damn
context.  I had said that I was not willing to add burden for
everyone, you said that you couldn't understand what I was talking
about, because there wasn't any extra overhead, and I showed you
that it took over 3 hours simply to build perl on one of my ss2s.
3 hours is not "pointless". 3 hours *IS* the context. And if you
can't understand that, either you are being deliberately disingenuous,
or you are a complete time-wasting moron.

> Perhaps you should post comparisons to building a kernel, and building
> an entire NetBSD release, and xsrc, and perhaps just the NetBSD toolchain.

Again, completely off base. I was not talking about building either
a kernel, a release, xsrc, a blue toothbrush, Homer's Iliad, the
weather in Milwaukee, or a spaceship from Mars. I was talking about
building the sudo package.

> Building perl on an ss2 is no slower, and requires no more or less other
> resources, in comparison to building anything else on an ss2.

It takes 3 hours and 10 minutes. WTF do you think it's doing? Making
a cup of tea, or playing croquet? Of course it takes more resources
than not building Perl. 3 hours and 10 minutes elapsed wall-time,
for a start.

And this is the crucial thing - they're not needed. Perl is not a
necessary pre-requisite to building sudo. It never has been. It
never will be. Deal.