Subject: devel/ruby-readline vs. devel/readline vs. core readline(3)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/18/2002 14:42:32
I'd very much rather that devel/ruby-readline (and thus devel/readline)
not be a dependency for the lang/ruby meta package.  I'm trying very
hard to avoid having to have GNU Readline on some production machines
that really don't need it, and I personally don't need ruby-readline,
though I do need ruby-base and various other Ruby packages on those
machines (and I do recognize the current necessity of using GNU Readline
with ruby-readline).

What do more experienced Ruby users say?  Is ruby-readline really
expected to be a core library now?  (I don't see it mentioned in the
Thomas & Hunt book.)

(what is the likelyhood of ruby-readline ever using NetBSD readline(3)?)

--
								Greg A. Woods