Subject: Re: rc.d scripts again
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/13/2002 00:36:02
Julio Merino wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:28:08 +0200
> "Klaus Heinz" <> wrote:

> > a) where to put the scripts
> You install the scripts in $PREFIX/etc/rc.d and then let
Shouldn't this be ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}/rc.d ?

> to install them in their proper place (/etc/rc.d) if
> the administrator wants to.

Ok, I will do that.

> > b) how to let the user configure this (something like the _flags variables
> > in
> >    /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf)
> /usr/pkgsrc/mk/ contains some info on variables.

I am interested in how users can modify options for the script. In the base
system there's /etc/defaults/rc.conf which gets included and sets default
values for various services (e.g. ipmon_flags, ntpdate_flags,
syslogd_flags,..). People can override those flags in /etc/rc.conf
(or roll their own /etc/rc.conf.d/some_service).

At the moment my script says:
  /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd: WARNING: $sa-spamd is not set properly

because there is no YES-NO entry in /etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf for
it (and no $sa-spamd_flags of course).

Is there something like this for packages? Debian seems to include some
/etc/some_service.conf where they set a variable OPTION="-a -b -c".