Subject: Re: same 1.5.3 and 1.6 tagged pkgsrc?
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2002 10:44:06
> > Since it seems like 1.5.3 and 1.6 are close to being released at same
> > time, I think it may be useful if they used identical pkgsrc.

> > But I guess that could be confusing. Because possibly a package built with
> > i386 under 1.6 may have same name and version number but be different that
> > the 1.5.2 package (with same version).

> The OS where you build the package is moot.
>
> I have servers in every possible version from 1.5 through 1.6_Beta1.  I use
> exactly the same pkgsrc for all of them.  I do mean exactly, too - it is a
> single NFS share.

I understand that you can use same pkgsrc for all -- that is why I made
this suggestion (to tag at same time).

But I am assuming that some packages built on 1.6 may not work properly on
1.5.x.

Do you use the same packages all built on 1.6 on your 1.5 systems?

(I can't think of any examples. Maybe some linux compat packages are
different without having different version numbers?)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/