Subject: distfiles on multiple cd's
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2002 20:04:16
Hi all

Some days ago, I burned my distfiles to a cd as a backup, because I was
going to reinstall. Having them on a cd is good, although there is a
problem. I had around 900 mb of distfiles, so I deleted several ones
until I reached the 650 limit to fit them all on a CD. But what about
having several cd's holding several distfiles? This is not currently
possible, afaik, but seems quite interesting to me.

And... I have got a "solution" :D. So far, I have written a 'dfincd'
script which allows this. It stores first a list of the contents of the
cds in a file. Then, you can ask it to fetch any file and it will ask
for the proper cd and copy the distfile to the local disk, so it can be
used by the pkgsrc system.

But for this to work with the pkgsrc's system fine, it's also needed a
fetch wrapper, that first tries to use dfincd, and in case of failure,
uses ftp to fetch the file. Is this currently possible without any
external wrapper?

What do you think on this idea?

Thanks

--=20