Subject: Re: How to force pkgsrc FTP to use active?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/04/2002 22:43:02
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, David Hopper wrote:
>
> > Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > > In "/etc/mk.conf", set
> > >
> > > FETCH_CMD=      /usr/bin/ftp -A
> >
> > Okay, this is weird.  I even edited
> > /usr/pkgsrc/mk/[bsd.pkg.mk|bsd.pkg.defaults.mk] directly to add
> > /usr/bin/ftp -A to the FETCH_CMD?= lines.  Still no go, and ftp just
> > won't fall back to active mode per the behavior described in
> > Packages.txt.
>
> Well, that may be, but setting FETCH_CMD as above will use "ftp -A" to
> do the fetching. It's possible that "ftp -A" is broken lately -- what
> happens when you invoke "ftp -A _URI_" manually?

ftp -A _URI_ works perfectly, manually.  As stated, the /etc/mk.conf
FETCH_CMD isn't even parsed, or it's overridden.  /etc/mk.conf itself
works fine, as ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES is indeed parsed.

> I know for a fact that "lynx" uses active mode by default, unless you
> have set `FTP_PASSIVE:TRUE' in ${LYNX_CFG}. To see if "lynx" works any
> better, try
>
> FETCH_CMD=      /usr/pkg/bin/lynx -source

Okay, more clues, and we're getting somewhere:  when I use this, I get
an error:  'lynx: Invalid Option: -p '.  So somewhere, there is a fetch
command that the pkgsrc environment is using, overriding /etc/mk.conf
with an 'ftp -p'.

Thank you for your help; I'll keep looking.

> Frederick

David