Subject: Re: registering p5-xxx packages installed via CPAN
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2002 05:36:29
On June 3, 2002 05:25 am, Xavier HUMBERT wrote:
> Often, packages in CPAN are a little newer that those in pkgsrc, and
> sometimes, you'v not really the choice, with CPAN dependancies, it
> installs a package you never installed via pkgsrc.
>
> Obvious example is libnet, if you initialize the CPAN stuff, it installs
> libnet.
>
> Later, if you want to install a package via pkgsrc, the package manager
> does not know that libnet is installed.
>
> What is the best practice, here ? Reinstall via pkgsrc, possibly
> overwriting a newer version, breaking a dependance in CPAN ?

How about updating (or creating) the package.  You can send-pr the result to
get it into pkgsrc for the next person who needs it but you don't have to
wait for it to come through.  Just install it in your local tree.

I am sure that someone who uses Perl and pkgsrc a lot more than I can
describe the steps needed to pkgsrcize a CPAN module.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/