Subject: Re: Zoularis (Solaris) patch?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mlh <mlh@goatnospamhill.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/2002 23:49:52
On 28 May 2002 22:45:01 -0500, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:48:32AM +0000, mlh wrote:
>> But I did get the pkgsrc/devel/patch working
>
> but now you have binary in your system which is not maintained in any
> package.  that doesn't seem like solution for me, that's workaround.

Sometimes a self-built solution is more valuable than an unknown
one. At least I know how to create this one without having to rely
on yet another Solaris package/version that may or may not work.

> it's apparently not /usr/ucb/install but looks more like strip(1), try
> to install that file without -s and we'll see.

The -s option is supposed to invoke the stip behavior, but it
correupts the file instead. When removed, it installs the file but
doesn't strip it, so it appears to be a real install.

> 'install' from SUNWscpu package is all you need (that one which is
> installed in /usr/ucb/install).  it works like a charm for me on both
> SPARC and UltraSPARC based Solaris machines which i run with
> Zoularis/pkgsrc, so your problem lies likely somewhere else..

$ pkginfo | grep SUNWscpu
system      SUNWscpu       Source Compatibility, (Usr)
system      SUNWscpux      Source Compatibility (Usr) (64-bit)

I reinstalled the SUNWscpu package and it still behaves the same
way.

Basically, this sort of uncontrolled behavior is why I think it
would be really nice for dummies like me to have NetBSD versions
of 'install' and 'patch' included in Zoularis, or at least add
'install' in pkgsource like 'patch' is so one can fairly easily
build them by hand.

Right now I'll apparently have to download gnu or NetBSD 'install'
sources and build from hand.

Zoularis has come a very longs ways towards being usable on Solaris
as compared to what it was over a year ago. Please don't stop making
it easier and more self-contained, as it still could use some help.

Thanks