Subject: Re: Zoularis (Solaris) patch?
To: mlh <mlh@goathill.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/2002 02:43:34
--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

hi,

i am sorry that i have to repeat it again but have you ever read my

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 11:50:13PM +0000, mlh wrote:
> Thanks, but it didn't work. I realized that there is a
> pkgsrc/develop/patch so I manually ran configure and copied that
> 'patch' to my path and that works.
>=20
> However, the only install is in /usr/ucb/install and I usually get an
> 'ELF' error for all of the binaries it installs:
>=20
> $ install-info
> install-info: Cannot find ELF`a`
> Killed
>=20
> And from what I saw, /usr/ucb/install appears to almost be hardwired
> into configure scripts. How does one override this, and what install
> source is appropriate?

'install' from SUNWscpu package is all you need (that one which is=20
installed in /usr/ucb/install).  it works like a charm for me on both
SPARC and UltraSPARC based Solaris machines which i run with
Zoularis/pkgsrc, so your problem lies likely somewhere else..

once again, there *is* native package for GNU patch within official
Solaris 8 distribution already and it's called SUNWgpch.  you can find
in on one of Software CDs which are needed to install Solaris itself
(it's either on Software 1/2 or Software 2/2, i am not sure atm):

   PKGINST:  SUNWgpch
      NAME:  The GNU Patch utility
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  11.8.0,REV=3D2000.01.08.18.12
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  The GNU Patch utility
    PSTAMP:  humbolt20000108182558
  INSTDATE:  Mar 29 2002 19:02
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:        7 installed pathnames
                   5 shared pathnames
                   5 directories
                   1 executables
                 244 blocks used (approx)

it installs binary called 'gpatch' into /usr/bin/gpatch, which is
handled correctly by Zoularis/pkgsrc (as seen in defs.SunOS.mk):

=2Eif exists(/usr/bin/gpatch)
PATCH?=3D         /usr/bin/gpatch -b
=2Eelse
PATCH?=3D         ${LOCALBASE}/bin/patch -b
=2Eendif

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=