Subject: Re: Find out what buildlinks (or dependencies) are needed?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2002 20:18:22
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > I believe what he's asking is "Why?", since not everything that needs
> > gnome-libs really needs the audio support. So while including
> > buildlink.mk's in other buildlink.mk's saves typing for pkgsrc
> > developers, it results in erroneous dependencies in the binary packages.
>
> I built the package without any buildlinks or dependencies at first. But
> it still was built linked to a few audio libraries. So I really don't know
> how to build without them since I never asked for them in the first place.
>
> I guess that is due to the bloat of gnome, gtk and family. I see that the
> configure/makefile used:
>  /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-config --libs-only-l gnome
>
> Which gives:
>
> -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -lossaudio -laudiofile -lm -lglib -lintl
>
> I don't know this gnome-config. I am guessing that it can be used (and
> built) without the "-lesd -lossaudio -laudiofile"

If you use "gnome-config", you're stuck with what it does. To "fix"
gnome-config, means you'd have to fix every package that really needs
audio support, that uses it. It would be simpler to fix your package
to not use gnome-config. It's probably not worth the trouble, though,
while both the buildlink recursions and the recursions in the
"fake-pkg" target still pull the (unwanted) dependencies in, anyway.

Frederick