Subject: Re: packages outside of /usr/pkg (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Move /usr/pkg/etc
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2002 11:00:04
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:04:06AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:37:25PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> >
> Yep, I agree with you. But I would prefer seeing packages using /var/pkg/*
> instead of directly /var. At least, rpm uses /var/pkg/lib/rpm.
>
> But for example, I don't think rpm information belongs to /var, as rpm
> is not used "directly" in netbsd. The same happens with scrollkeeper; this
> one uses prefix/var to store its information. If pkg tree has to be
> shared across the network, it is good to have these kind of files too.

"scrollkeeper" is a joke. It makes some people happy to have it's
garbage dumped into /usr/X11R6/var instead of /var, so what the heck.
The files are simply discarded from the binary package, and "rm -r
/usr/X11R6/var/lib/scrollkeeper" on a build machine has no
consequences. (Well, it does make scrollkeeper dump core everytime
it's invoked, rather than half of the time.)

"rpm" is a little different, in that it's actually useful to an end
user. The packages system doesn't register rpm's in the default
location, or anywhere at all, really, so "/var/pkg/lib/rpm" is for the
use of the user, a place to register non-package linux rpm's. It's
been suggested that "rpm -initdb" should create the default rpm
directory if it doesn't exist, rather than having it created by the
install target. Patches welcome.

Frederick