Subject: Re: Startup scripts (patch proposal)
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/23/2002 08:25:52
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> The patch changes default installation of scripts to
> ${PREFIX}/share/examples/rc.d. Packages install scripts there, registering
> them in the PLIST. Then, the INSTALL/DEINSTALL scripts take care to move
> those scripts to ${PKG_SYSCONFBASE}/rc.d if the INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS variable
> is set. As they are not installed under /etc/rc.d, I've changed this var
> default value to YES.

No, that's wrong. The startup scripts have to be installed into
"/etc/rc.d" if they're to work as designed. Please review the prior
discussion in the tech-userlevel and tech-pkg archives before
proposing any more changes, especially the discussion surrounding
lukem's latest proposal on tech-userlevel (a thread which you
responded to, I might add).

The intention is for "pkg_add" to install and register the scripts to
a holding area, then to have the INSTALL script activate them by
copying them to "/etc/rc.d/". This can accomodate network mounted
/usr, shared "${PREFIX}", and build-only machines that won't ever run
the package. The fact that some people can trivially execute some of
the scripts directly from the holding area ("${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d")
isn't relevant -- it doesn't work in general, and it's not
supportable. Your change won't even be able to support separate root
and /usr partitions. ${PKG_SYSCONFBASE} doesn't have to be on the root
file-system, but the scripts must be.

Frederick