Subject: Re: Problems with etc outside /usr/pkg
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2002 08:59:42
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> continuing my previous thread, I've started reinstalling and fixing packages
> that currently use (and only use) /usr/pkg/etc. I've fixed some of them
> fine, but I'm having problems with others.

I haven't had a chance to look at your PRs closely yet, but thanks for
doing this!

> The other problem, and worst, is about PLIST files and the like. For
> example, while compiling gtk, it installs LOTS of files under
> /usr/pkg/etc/gtk. I've been looking for a simple way to change this, but
> it's not that easy. configure supports the --sysconfdir argument; well,
> I though, I can ask it to install files under PKG_SYSCONFDIR. But that's
> wrong, as PLIST can't reference those files, and tgz packages won't
> contain them, so causing problems with the pkg.

Do any of those files really belong in "etc"? To me, they don't look
like anything a site is likely to want to edit, and I couldn't find
any mention of them in the info files for gtk. I think it would make
sense to train gtk+ to put them in "{PREFIX}/share/gtk", register them
there, and forget about them.

Frederick