Subject: Re: creating user before configuration starts
To: Alistair Crooks <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2002 19:48:43

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:44:04PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:13:09PM +0200, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> > On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:52:48PM +0200, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> > > I need to create a user before the configuration of the port starts.
> >
> > check mail/qmail-users and mail/qmail how to do it better way.
> Actually, I believe that qmail and qmail-users don't need the uid until
> package install time, and so they use the PKG_USERS/PKG_GROUPS mechanism,
> in conjuntion with

you cannot build qmail unless you have created users/groups for it's
future use. that's the reason why there is prerequisite package
qmail-users which creates users before qmail itself is compiled.

> Please note that people normally build in pkgsrc as normal users, and then
> a just-in-time su(1) is done at installation time (this is different to t=
> way that FreeBSD used, last I looked). And so special measures need to be
> taken at configure time for majordomo.

this is true for qmail as well.

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
--                  <>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  \ /=
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   X =
-- PGPkey:                                  / \=
-- Key Fingerprint: DBEC 8BEC 9A90 ECEC 0FEF  716E 59CE B70B 7E3B 70E2     =

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)