Subject: Re: creating user before configuration starts
To: Hannes Frederic Sowa <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2002 19:13:09

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:52:48PM +0200, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> I need to create a user before the configuration of the port starts.
> My Makefile:
> pre-configure:
>        ${GROUPADD} vchkpw;                               \
>        ${USERADD} -g vchkpw -d ${VPOPMAILDIR} vpopmail;  \
> There will be also a notfication for that in DEINSTALL and MESSAGE.
> Would that be acceptable or is there a better method to do that?

check mail/qmail-users and mail/qmail how to do it better way.

> I would like to take a uid and gid below 100. In FreeBSD they use 89 for=
> that. Would that also be possible in NetBSD?

you can specify uid/gid, check mk/ for details.

anyway, what's the purpose of having uid below 100? note that 89 can be
reserved in other OS using pkgsrc (Solaris, random Linux distribution, etc.)

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
--                  <>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  \ /=
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   X =
-- PGPkey:                                  / \=
-- Key Fingerprint: DBEC 8BEC 9A90 ECEC 0FEF  716E 59CE B70B 7E3B 70E2     =

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)